The sound of the ice cream truck still gets me excited! Unfortunately, there aren’t vegan options but, that little jingle gets me every time. This Chocolate Vegan Ice Cream Sandwich recipe will have you screaming for ice cream. Literally.
The cookie is the most important part of the ice cream sandwich! It needs to be soft, so when you bite in, your teeth sink right into the cold ice cream center.
Chocolate vegan ice cream sandwich cookie recipe
Believe it or not, these cookies are actually quite healthy! I used applesauce for these chocolate vegan ice cream sandwiches, which keeps the cookies really soft and moist. AKA the best cookies for ice cream sandwiches! Just like the good old days, except these ones won’t stick to your fingers! All you need is a few basic ingredients and then you choose your ice cream!
Ingredients for cookies:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Sea salt
- Coconut sugar- or light brown sugar
- Apple sauce
How to make chocolate vegan ice cream sandwiches
First off, planning ahead is the most important part of this recipe! That way, when your ready to enjoy a nice cold treat, they come together with ease!
Step 1: Thaw the ice cream at room temperature until its soft. Spread in on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and refreeze.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl combine coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla. Next add in apple sauce, flour, cocoa, and salt.
Step 3: Chill the dough in the fridge for an hour.
Step 4: Roll out the dough, cut into rounds with a 3″ biscuit cutter or glass jar, and poke holes in the top. Return to the fridge for another 10 minutes.
Step 5: Bake the cookies and allow to cool completely.
Step 6: Cut the ice cream with the same biscuit cutter or jar and assemble ice cream sandwiches.
How to store homemade ice cream sandwiches
For the softest and best cookies for ice cream sandwiches enjoy immediately after assembling. However, you may store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days and assemble as desired.
More summer recipes:Print
Soft, melt in your mouth chocolate vegan ice cream sandwiches. These are the best cookies for ice cream sandwiches!
For the ice cream:
- 1 3/4 pints ice cream
- We used a dairy-free oreo cookie ice cream! But, feel free to use any ice cream you like!
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 Tbsp. water
- pinch of salt
To prep the ice cream layer:
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature until soft.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the ice cream out until it’s about 1/4″ thick and cover with another sheet of parchment paper.
- Then return the ice cream to the freezer for a minimum of 1 hour
For the cookies:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla. Stir well.
- Add in apple sauce.
- Slowly begin adding flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stirring constantly until incorporated.
- Add water and mix again until there are no visible dry ingredients. Note that the dough will be very sticky and tacky!
- Cover a flat surface with flour and place the dough on top. Sprinkle a little flour on top and then mold into a 6″ disc. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and return to the fridge for an hour until firm.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and place it back on top of the floured surface. Roll the dough until it is about 1/4″ thick and cut into circles using a 3″ biscuit cutter or glass jar.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the cookie cut out on top. Use a fork or poker to make small indents on top, careful not to poke all the way through.
- Return the dough back to the fridge for another 10 minutes to keep them from spreading out while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes- note they will still be very soft when fully baked.
- Brush off any excess flour and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely before assembling.
Assembling the cookie sandwich:
- Take the ice cream tray out of the freezer and using the same biscuit cutter, cut the ice cream.
- Take one cooled cookie and turn it face down. Place the ice cream on top, and cover with an additional cookie face up.
- Enjoy immediately.
* use any ice cream you prefer for the center!
* store unassembled for freshest cookie and assemble as desired!
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 15
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 20
Keywords: chocolate, ice cream, ice cream sandwiches, vegan ice cream, summer desserts