These vegan toasted coconut cupcakes are like a tropical party in your mouth. Bursting with sweet coconut flavor and subtle notes of vanilla, each bite is paradise. All that’s missing is some white sandy beaches, oh getting fanned by a handsome guy holding a palm leaf.
To be totally honest, this recipe was a complete accident. We accidentally bought sweetened coconut cream instead of unsweetened for pasta one night. Next thing you know I’ve got a whole tropical paradise of flavors going down in the kitchen. However, there were no complaints when these soft, moist, and sweet cupcakes hit the table instead.
Ingredients for vegan coconut cupcakes:
- A blend of all-purpose flour and coconut flour– this adds flavor, complexity, and texture.
- Fine macaroon coconut– while very fine this coconut won’t distract from the fluffy cupcake, but will add extra flavor!
- Sweetened coconut cream- usually used in pina colada’s or blended drinks this creamy sweet coconut cream keeps the cupcakes moist and enhances the flavor.
- Coconut oil and butter- A blend of both creates a rich, decadent, and buttery flavor. I suggest using unrefined coconut oil- because the more coconut flavor the better!
- Orange juice- A splash of citrus adds brightness and balances the creamy coconut.
- Toasted coconut flakes- While optional, they are the best part of the cupcake. The slightly toasted flavor is the perfect topping for this sweet cupcake.
How to store coconut cupcakes
The best way to store these vegan toasted coconut cupcakes is in an airtight container. They will stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days! Alternatively, freeze them. When you are ready to enjoy them simply take out of the freezer and allow to defrost for about an hour.
More Summer Dessert Recipes:
Vegan Cupcake RecipePrint
Soft and fluffy cupcakes bursting with sweet coconut flavor and subtle notes of vanilla. These cupcakes are full of tropical flavors in every bite!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup fine macaroon coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 15 oz sweetened cream of coconut
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 75 ml. melted coconut oil
Frosting and Topping:
- 5 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
Making the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients: flour, coconut flour, coconut sugar, fine macroon coconut, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add in melted coconut oil, butter, orange juice, oat milk, and sweetened cream of coconut and stir until incorporated.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake pan filling 3/4 full as they will expand.
- Bake for 16 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting
- While they are cooling spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet and place into the oven. Allow to bake for about 5-8 minutes until toasted.
Making the frosting:
- In a medium bowl combine butter and whip with a hand blender for 5 minutes until fluffy and a lighter color.
- Add powdered sugar slowly while continuing to stir.
- Add vanilla bean paste.
- Fill piping bag with frosting and frost cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 15
- Carbohydrates: 26
Keywords: vegan cupcake recipe, coconut, vanilla,