Smokey tofu bacon, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, vegan basil aioli, pickled onions, and a slice of provolone cheese are sandwiched between two sourdough slices for the best tofu BLT on earth! This vegetarian BLT can easily be made gluten-free, is full of flavor, and pretty dang easy to make!
Now, this tofu BLT is a bit extra! And you can totally skip out on the pickled red onions and basil aioli. But, if you try it you may just find that this vegan sandwich is your new favorite! It’s full of so much flavor you can even share it with a vegan skeptic and I bet they will be pleasantly surprised. Here’s what you need for the most amazing tofu BLT:
- Tofu Bacon- This is my favorite tofu bacon recipe! It’s smokey, flavorful, chewy, and crispy!
- Sourdough Bread- I chose to use sourdough because I had a freshly made loaf but you can use ciabatta or your favorite bread instead.
- Basil Aioli- Which is just a fancy way of saying a basil garlic vegan mayo. But this little touch adds a depth of flavor that’s worth the effort.
- Sliced Beef Tomatoes- I like beef tomatoes because they are hearty and big! Roma tomatoes would be tasty as well!
- Pickled Red Onions- I made these myself using a quick pickle method the day before. Alternatively, you can find them at the supermarket!
- Iceberg Lettuce- This is my top choice for lettuce in a vegetarian BLT. It’s crispy and delicious!
- Vegan Smoked Provolone Cheese- I used Violife and they are one of my favorite dairy-free cheese on the market. However, this is totally optional and you can leave it off altogether if you like.
Best Lettuce for Vegan BLT’s
This is a topic we NEED to discuss and so a min rant is coming! A while ago I ordered a tofu BLT from a cafe. I didn’t read the whole description (my bad) and when it arrived there was kale on it! Kale? I was so disappointed. No offense if kale is your jam, I just don’t think it belongs on a BLT. So here I am, explaining the best lettuce for a BLT on sourdough because I can’t sleep thinking someone else will have to suffer through a kale tofu BLT as I did.
Iceberg Lettuce- The holy grail of lettuce in my option. It has high water content, is light, crispy, and fresh tasting. Iceberg lettuce is the best lettuce for a vegetarian BLT because it’s mild in flavor and won’t overpower the rest of the sandwich.
Romaine Hearts– If you must romaine hearts are a good alternative to iceberg lettuce and is my second choice.
Tofu BLT RecipePrint
This vegetarian BLT is easy to make, full of smokey flavor, and completely meat-free! A tofu BLT that’s a little fancy with basil aioli, pickled red onions, and sourdough bread!
- Two slices of sourdough bread
- 2 slices of vegan smoked provolone cheese – I used Violife cheese*optional
- 4 slices of vegan tofu bacon
- pickled red onions *optional
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 beefsteak or Roma tomato, sliced
- 2 stalks iceberg lettuce, washed and patted dry
- First, make a batch of tofu bacon. The recipe is for one block of tofu so you will have leftovers!
- Next, make your basil aioli by blending vegan mayo, fresh basil, and garlic in a small blender. This recipe will make extra mayo because it’s really hard to mix up just a tablespoon! You can store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!
- Slice the sourdough bread and the tomato.
- Then wash the lettuce and pat dry.
- Take one slice of sourdough and slather it with vegan basil aioli. Then layer on the tofu bacon, pickled red onions, lettuce, tomato, and vegan cheese.
- Top with another slice of sourdough bread and enjoy!
The pickled red onions are totally optional! Feel free to leave them off or swap them out for avocado!
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 425
Keywords: tofu bacon, bacon, blt, vegan blt, sandwiches, lunch, basil aoili