What is creamy, garlicky, rich, easy-to-make, and every carb lover’s dream come true? This Easy Vegan Vodka Pasta! I have to be honest and give credit where credit is due and this recipe is actually my wonderful boyfriend’s creation. He makes the best vegan vodka sauce! So, I begged and pleaded to share it and we think you’re going to love this dairy-free vodka sauce recipe.
I went through a stage where I felt silly sharing recipes that were simple. Until I realized that simple is most often the best! Just like my One-pot Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff, this vegan penne alla vodka pasta is so simple! It’s made with only 10 ingredients because one is optional and salt and pepper don’t count, right? Plus, it’s ready in under 30 minutes and so tasty!
This easy vodka sauce is made with a handful of pantry staples. The only unique ingredient is the nutritional yeast. It’s not hard to find and you can order it on Amazon or find it in the natural food section of the supermarket. We are calling this a 10 ingredient meal because salt and pepper are freebies and the artichoke hearts are totally optional! Here are those quick and easy ingredients to make an easy vegan vodka sauce:
- Tomato Pasta Sauce- Feel free to use your favorite here but I suggest using an organic one!
- Vodka- Obviously this recipe will call for vodka, it’s a vegan penne alla vodka recipe! But, don’t worry the alcohol is cooked out so it’s safe for all ages.
- Garlic- Can you really make vegan vodka sauce without garlic? I think not!
- Nutritional Yeast- This is a vegan staple in our house. Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor to many dishes like this pasta and even adds a creamy flavor in this Vegan Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup.
- Coconut Cream– Now you might be thinking what? Coconut milk vodka sauce? That sounds strange but hear me out. The fatty coconut cream adds a rich and creamy flavor that is very similar to heavy cream except for its dairy-free! We will talk about it more below but just trust me, it’s the secret ingredient that makes this dish delicious!
- Red Chili Pepper Flakes– Red pepper flakes are added to the sauce to bring a little heat.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts– These are totally optional but add a lot of flavor to the dish!
We have made so many versions of this recipe over the past 3 years. It’s the best for a quick dinner and leftovers store well for the next day too! The creaminess of this vegan vodka sauce pasta will amaze you! But you might be asking how can a dairy-free vodka sauce be creamy without cream? It’s all from one special ingredient, coconut cream. And before you run away hear me out on why this is the perfect addition for a creamy pasta sauce.
Vodka Sauce with Coconut Milk
As promised, let’s chat about why I choose to use coconut milk, more specifically the cream at the top of the can of coconut milk, in this recipe. Well, first off if you have been around for a while you will know that I just love coconut milk. I think it’s delicious in savory foods and even in desserts like this Mexican Chili Chocolate Tart or Black Sesame Ice Cream. Coconut cream is the product at the top of a can of coconut milk and is full of rich flavor and healthy fats.
This is exactly the secret ingredient we need to replace heavy cream! It gives recipes an indulgent flavor without the use of dairy. However, if you don’t like coconut, this might not be for you because the flavor of the coconut milk does come through a little bit. Or you can use something else like cashew cream or regular cream if keeping it dairy-free and vegan isn’t a top priority.
I found that by adding lots of garlic, red pepper flakes, and olive oil the flavors blend together in a harmonious way. The nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor and the coconut milk adds the slightest touch of sweetness that’s simply perfect. This easy vegan vodka pasta is the perfect weeknight dinner! I almost forgot, if you want a little more cheese I suggest sprinkling Go Veggie parmesan on top! Enjoy!
More Vegan Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
If you recreate this vegan vodka sauce recipe, please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below, and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @flaxandsugar, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations! Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Vegan Vodka Sauce RecipePrint
6 Ingredient Vegan Vodka Pasta
- Prep Time: 2
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
This easy vegan vodka pasta sauce is made with only 10 ingredients in under 30 minutes. It’s creamy, cheesy, and delicious! This meatless meal is a great weeknight dinner!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs, dried
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 2 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz penne pasta
- 1/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts *optional
- First, start by chopping the onion and mincing the garlic.
- Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pot and add 3/4 cup of diced onions, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon Italian herbs (mixed Italian seasoning works great), and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Heat on low to medium heat until aromatic.
- Then add in 1/4 cup of vodka and continue to cook down for about 2 minutes on low heat.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of pasta sauce and allow for the vodka to simmer out of the sauce for about 10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of coconut cream (scooping just the solid part of the coconut milk off the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk) to the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and cover the pot. Let it continue to cook on the lowest heat setting while you prepare the pasta according to the pasta’s cooking instructions.
- Strain the pasta from the water and toss the pasta in the creamy tomato sauce until evenly coated.
- Stir in artichoke hearts and top with parmesan or fresh basil if desired.
The recipe can be made gluten-free by substituting gluten-free pasta noodles.
- Serving Size: 1 small bowl
- Calories: 300
Keywords: penne, pasta, vodka sauce, vegan pasta, creamy pasta, 30 minute meal, easy dinner, dinner
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust, and love!
Oh my gosh! Literally a dream. A 30 minute meal that feels so impressive that you’d think it took hours!
This sauce was delicious! Really easy and quick to make! I highly recommend it!
Thank you so much, Eloise! I am so happy you liked it! It’s so simple and delicious! Thank you for making my recipes!