This Vegan Wild Rice Mushroom Soup is hearty, warming, and delicious. A filling soup with veggies and a splash of coconut cream. You will hardly believe it’s dairy-free and gluten-free too! Grab a bowl of creamy mushroom wild rice soup and enjoy a cozy dinner this week!
How is this wild rice soup is healthy
Not only is this vegan wild rice mushroom soup delicious, but it’s also actually pretty dang healthy too! It’s full of veggies like carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Plus, wild rice is really good for you! Did you know that wild rice contains higher levels of B vitamins, calcium, and protein than traditional white or brown rice? It’s also higher in fiber which helps your gut health!
Not to mention, it’s dairy-free because it’s made with just a splash of coconut cream! But if coconut isn’t your favorite flavor then you can use non-dairy cooking cream or another creamy non-dairy milk like oat or soy instead.
How to make homemade wild rice and mushroom soup
This soup could easily be made in the Instantpot or on the stove. The recipe below was created in a cast iron dutch oven on the stove because I love cast iron! It holds the heat in better and that helps the rice cook faster. But, this creamy vegan mushroom wild rice soup will be easy to make regardless of the cooking method you choose though!
First, chop all of the veggies and set them aside. Then, add the olive oil to the pot, as well as, the onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute them until fragrant and the mushrooms have decreased in size. Then, add in the rest of the veggies, fresh Thyme, and some salt and pepper.
Next, stir in the vegetable broth and bring the soup to a low boil. Add the wild rice to the soup and cover the pot. The rice will take 35-45 minutes to cook depending on the brand of rice and the type of pot you use. I prefer to cook it on medium-low heat for a longer duration. The wild rice soup has better flavor and more nutrients this way!
After the soup is nearly cooked, add in the coconut cream, the nutritional yeast, and stir. Finish cooking and remove the soup from the heat. Allow the soup to cool for 10 minutes and thicken slightly. Then this vegan wild rice mushroom soup is ready to enjoy!
FAQ and Substitutions:
Can this soup be made oil-free?
Yes! At the begining of the cooking process you can use water instead of oil to sautee the onions, garlic, and mushrooms in.
What if I don’t like coconut? Can this soup be made without coconut cream?
Yes. However, coconut cream is very creamy and one of the closest non-dairy substitutes to cream there is. Alternatively, you can use oat milk or soy milk because those are also more creamy. Also, if you do not need this recipe to be dairy-free, then you can use regular cream.
More heartwarming soups:
If you recreate this Vegan Wild Rice Mushroom Soup please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @flaxandsugar, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Vegan wild rice mushroom soup recipePrint
A hearty, creamy vegan wild rice mushroom soup that’s 100% dairy-free and easy to make too! With only 10 healthy ingredients this wonderful soup is just the comfort food you’ve been looking for!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped to 1/4″ rounds
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- First, wash all of your veggies! Then mince the garlic cloves, slice the mushrooms, chop the onion, celery, and carrots.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a pot. Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 1 cup diced onions to the oil. Cook for about 3 minutes on medium heat until fragrant.
- Add 2 cups of sliced mushrooms and stir well to coat the mushrooms in the oil. Sprinkle the mushrooms with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme. Then let the mushrooms cook down for another 5 minutes.
- When the mushrooms are nearly cooked, add in 1 1/2 cup sliced celery and 1 1/2 cup chopped carrots and stir to well.
- Then pour in 6 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a low boil on medium-high heat.
- Just as the bubbles begin to appear in the broth add in 3/4 cup wild rice. Stir well and then cover the pot with a lid. Let the rice cook for 35-45 minutes until chewy. Note that wild rice is done before it’s soft. It’s a heartier grain and remains a bit firmer than traditional rice.
- When the rice is about done, remove the lid and add in 3/4 cup coconut cream and sprinkle in 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, stirring well.
- Remove the soup from heat and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. This will help the soup to thicken slightly plus, it’s too hot to eat right away anyway!
- Dish up the soup, salt, and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Keywords: wild rice, mushroom soup, soup, winter, dinner, healthy,