Hot diggity dog! Would you look at those? Alright, I have a confession to make. I have been craving these for weeks on end. All I can think about is a big old fair corn dog smothered in mustard! The only problem is, those aren’t vegan. So without further ado, today’s recipe is for the Best Vegan Corn Dogs, to fix all your food fair cravings!
By the way, I know fried foods are delicious! But, ever since I was young I couldn’t eat them. I found out in my early teens that I had gallstones. Ever since I’ve tried to limit fried foods to a minimum. That doesn’t stop me from making delicious baked alternatives.! So don’t you worry, when it comes to making fried foods a bit healthier, I’m your gal!
Let’s start off with the cornbread crust, it’s slightly sweet and crunchy and baked to golden perfection. All I did was slightly tweak my Super Soft Vegan Corn Bread recipe and taddaa!
How to make homemade corn dogs:
First, in a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
Add non-dairy milk, softened vegan butter, and maple syrup and stir until it forms a dough.
Next, sandwich the dough in between parchment paper and roll it out until its about 1/4″ thick. The dough is quite sticky and using the parchment paper really helps to peel the dough up! A big thanks to itdoesn’ttastelikechicken.com for the tip!
Cut the dough into 6 even rectangles with a knife. Then skewer the dogs and wrap them in the dough. Make sure to fully cover the veggie dog with the dough and seal them shut by pinching the dough together!
Gently roll them to make the dough even and brush them with your vegan “egg” wash.
Bake until golden brown perfection (between 15-20 minutes).
Finally, smother in mustard! Ok, that last step is optional but highly recommended 🙂
Must have’s for the Best Vegan Corn Dogs:
- Parchment Paper- Use it to help roll out the corn dog dough! Seriously, I don’t know what I would do without the useful tip from itdoesn’ttastelikechicken.com! You can find an all-natural parchment paper here.
- Aquafaba- The liquid inside of a can of chickpeas is a vegan’s best friend. You can substitute as the “egg” in many recipes! In this recipe, it’s used as the egg wash to bake these doggies to golden perfection.
- Maple- The hint of sweetness is delicious!
- Favorite Veggie Dog- There are lots of meat alternatives out there and brands fighting for your attention. However, my heart has been stolen by Feild Roast.
Crispy, sweet cornbread wrapped around a veggie dog and baked to golden perfection! These are the Best Vegan Corn Dogs to fix all your fair food cravings!
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 6 veggie dogs
- 5 Tbsp. softened vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. aqua faba (water from can of chickpeas)*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine gluten-free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, garlic salt, and turmeric in a bowl and mix well.
- Add milk, softened butter, and maple syrup.
- Stir until a sticky dough forms and mold into a ball.
- Sandwich the corn dog dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out until the dough is 1/4″ thick.
- Slice the dough into 6 even rectangles.
- Wrap the dough around each veggie dog and pinch the ends shut. Roll the wrapped veggie dog a few times to seal and level out the dough.
- Transfer the corndogs to a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with the aquafaba “egg” wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the golden brown.
- Dunk in ketchup or mustard and enjoy!
* If you don’t have a can of chickpeas for the aqaufaba “egg” wash. You can brush the tops of each with melted butter.
- Serving Size: 1 corndog
- Calories: 425
- Protein: 18
Keywords: meat alternative, corn, hotdog