These rich, fudgy vegan brookies have the consistency of a brownie but they’re shaped like a cookie. If you are looking for the perfect Halloween dessert, you need to make these ASAP! Simply drizzle with white chocolate and topped with googly eyes, for a spooktacular mummy brookie!
I can’t believe it took me 26 years to learn what a brookie was?! It’s a cookie + a brownie swirled into one and is quite possibly one of the best treats on earth. Ok, so I have to be honest. Halloween is frightening to me! The only good part is the treats. Which, if you have been here a while, you know that cookies are my favorite. I love fall cookies like pumpkin kitchen sink cookies and pumpkin sugar cookies. So, I figured why not make some vegan Halloween cookies!
Tips for the best vegan brookies
Tip #1: Get a good dark chocolate bar- Here’s the thing, you can never have too much chocolate ok? Well, I should say you can never have too much good chocolate. So pick out a nice dark chocolate bar, like Chocolove or use Hu gems, because these half brownie/half cookies are swirled with melted chocolate.
Tip #2: Make sure your baking soda isn’t expired! To check drop a 1/4 tsp. of baking soda into 1 tbsp. of vinegar. If it fizzes you are good, if not, your baking soda may be old and could result in flat brookies.
Tip #3: Underbake > Overbake- These cookies are soft and fudgy like a vegan brownie with a slightly crisp edge and a round shape like a cookie. It’s a win-win in the dessert world.
Tip #4: When the double chocolate chip cookies are done baking take them out of the oven and gently drop the baking sheet on the counter a few times. The cookies will come out a bit puffier, as they cool and by gently dropping the cookie sheet on the counter it helps them get a chewier, brownie-like texture!
Tip #4: When the brookies are hot and fresh out of the oven, use a large cookie cutter to reshape them. Place the cookie cutter around the cookie and swirl it a few times in a circle. Your brownie cookies will be perfectly round… or should I say spooky mummy brookies!
How to make mummy faces
This is really simple and as you can see, mine are not perfect! But, it’s totally ok, you’re just going to eat them anyway! All jokes aside, all you need is to do is microwave the vegan white chocolate with 1 tsp. of coconut oil. Make sure the chocolate is smooth and drippy. Then using a spoon, drizzle back and forth across the cooled cookies. While the white chocolate is still hot, place two edible googly eyes on top to make little mummy faces on the vegan brookies.
This step is totally optional! These double chocolate chip cookies are so good you won’t want to eat them just as vegan Halloween cookies! Oh no, these cookie brownies are too good and must be made all year round! So, make sure you save this recipe and leave off the mummy face if you’d like!
They are so fudgy and soft that they stay fresh longer than a regular cookie. If you seal them up in an airtight container they will stay good for a week! You can also freeze them in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.Print
Gooey double chocolate vegan brookies are extra fudgy, easy to make, and drizzled with white chocolate for a spooky Halloween cookie!
- 1/2 cup organic white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 Tbsp. neutral oil (vegetable, refined coconut-melted)
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate bar
- 6 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
White Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup white chocolate
- 1 tsp. neutral oil melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a small dish microwave 2 tbsp. neutral oil with the chopped dark chocolate bar, stirring every 20 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl combine both sugars, vanilla, pumpkin puree, cool water, and stir.
- Add the melted chocolate to the sugar bowl and stir until incorporated. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- In a medium bowl combine, baking soda, flour, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cocoa powder. Use a fork or a whisk to blend the dry ingredients together.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until incorporated. The dough will be a bit runnier than normal cookie dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- Using a large cookie scoop section out the cookie dough on to the baking sheet and bake for 11-14 minutes. The cookies will look soft but will continue to cook while they cool.
- After they are finished baking remove the pan from the oven and gently drop the baking sheet on the counter. The cookies will deflate a little bit and will continue to deflate and make a super fudgy brookie as the cool.
- Leave them on the pan for an additional 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating.
White Chocolate Mummy Face:
- Microwave the white chocolate with 1 tsp. of neutral oil, stirring every twenty seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Use a spoon and drizzle back and forth across the cookies making the mummy wraps.
- Add googly eyes while the white chocolate is still warm and then allow to cool.
- Enjoy your spooky vegan Halloween cookies!
Try just dipping half of the cookie in white chocolate too, for a much easier year-round treat!
- Serving Size: 1 large cookie
- Calories: 280
Keywords: halloween cookies, brownie cookie, double chocolate cookie, vegan brownies, brookies, white chocolate
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS, SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT! ALSO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER PINTEREST BOARDS!