These vegan cauliflower mashed potatoes are the perfect recipe for the holidays or an easy weeknight side dish!
This recipe is made with dairy-free white cheddar swirled into garlicky mashed cauliflower and finished with caramelized onions and Hippeas vegan white cheddar puff crumbles. These vegan cauliflower mashed potatoes are going to become a holiday tradition, I promise! We’re excited to have a new, healthier side dish on our Thanksgiving table this year and hope you love it too!
We wanted to create a dish that has all the delicious, rich, creamy, and fulfilling Thanksgiving flavors but in a low carb option. My mom is actually allergic to potatoes. I know how does she manages? The best things in life are potatoes like, hash brown casserole, french fries, hassle back potatoes. So, since she can’t eat the traditional vegan mash potatoes we decided to create this vegan cauliflower mashed potato dish.
Ingredients for low carb mashed cauliflower
This recipe is great for people looking for a low carb Thanksgiving side dish or a potato alternative. It only uses a few ingredients and we think you’re going to love it! Here’s what you need:
- Vegan Butter
- Coconut Milk
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Nutritional Yeast
- Tapioca flour
- Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
How to make garlic mashed cauliflower
- The first step is to boil the cauliflower until soft so it can be mashed. I did this in a large pot over medium-high temperature for about 15 minutes. While the cauliflower is cooking begin making the vegan white cheddar cheese sauce and caramelized onions.
Vegan White Cheddar Cheese Sauce:
2. In a saucepan heat butter and coconut milk. Then add nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and white miso. Stir and bring to a simmer. Then reduce the heat slightly and add in tapioca flour. Whisk the flour into the butter mixture until completely dissolved. The sauce will start to thicken! Then turn off the heat and allow it to cool slightly for the remainder of the time until the cauliflower is completely cooked.
Vegan Caramelized Onions:
3. By adding just a little bit of brown sugar while cooking these onions get an even better flavor! They add a bit of sweetness and so much flavor to this dairy-free mashed cauliflower recipe.
When the cauliflower is soft to the fork, it’s done, and remove the pot from the stove. Allow the cauliflower to cool for 5 minutes.
Then carefully transfer the cooked cauliflower to a blender. Blend together the cauliflower, caramelized onions, and add the vegan white cheddar cheese sauce. Add the non-dairy milk and blend until smooth and creamy. Then transfer to a baking pan and cover with white cheddar puff crumbs.
Blend Hippeas vegan white cheddar puffs into a fine powder crumble and sprinkle on top. Then bake at 350 for 10 minutes until the crumb topping is toasty.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with caramelized onions and fresh chopped chives. Serve warm and enjoy!
Is cauliflower mashed potatoes dairy-free
Yes! This mashed cauliflower dish is gluten-free, dairy-free, and 100% plant-based! It’s so delicious though, no one will ever guess!
More Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes:Print
Vegan Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Holiday Side Dish
- Diet: Vegan
The best dairy-free mashed cauliflower recipe you’ll ever try! Made with a dairy-free white cheddar sauce and caramelized onions! This vegan mashed cauliflower potato recipe will be a new family tradition!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 tsp. yellow miso
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 2 tbsp. chives
- 1 large white onion
- 1 tbsp. tapioca flour- optional*
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/8th tsp. black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups of Hippeas vegan white cheddar puffs
- First, rinse the head of cauliflower and bring the water to a boil.
- Steam the cauliflower for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking prepare the onions and vegan white cheddar sauce.
- Slice the onions and place two tablespoons of butter into a skillet. Add the brown sugar and melt. Then place the onions into the brown sugar butter mixture and cook until caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking prepare the white cheddar sauce.
- In a saucepan heat butter and coconut milk. Then add nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and white miso. Stir and bring to a simmer. Then reduce the heat slightly and add in tapioca flour. Whisk the flour into the butter mixture until completely dissolved. The sauce will start to thicken! Then turn off the heat and allow it to cool slightly for the remainder of the time until the cauliflower is completely cooked.
- By now the cauliflower should be done cooking. Remove it from the pot of water and preheat the oven to 350.
- Blend the Hippeas vegan white cheddar puffs into a powder and set aside.
- Then place the cooked cauliflower head into the blender. Add the white cheddar sauce, sour cream, most of the caramelized onions except for a few for garnishing the finished plate with, and the non-dairy milk.
- Blend well until smooth and creamy adding additional water as needed one tablespoon at a time.
- Pour the mashed cauliflower into a baking dish, top with white cheddar crumbs, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, garnish with fresh chives, and some of the caramelized onions.
* the tapioca flour helps to thicken the sauce but if you don’t have any you can use corn starch or omit it completely!
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 150
Keywords: cauliflower, holiday, white cheddar, vegan thanksgiving, mashed cauliflower, garlic mashed cauliflower, healthy side dish,
Leave a Reply