This easy vegan dinner is ready in under 30 minutes and delicious! By adding a splash of white wine, pumpkin, and creamy coconut milk, this vegan brown butter pasta, is anything but boring! It’s so much more than just pasta with butter and sage! It’s full of rich flavors and a velvety, vegan brown butter sauce.
It’s no secret I love baking with pumpkin. It’s the perfect addition to transform goodies like these vegan pumpkin sugar cookies, or these gluten-free pumpkin blondies into a festive fall dessert. But, pumpkin is also wonderful to cook with too! It adds a creamy, smooth texture that makes any meal feel fancy while being so easy!
Ingredients for vegan brown butter sage pasta
The best part about this recipe is how easy it is while still having so much flavor! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Brown Butter– Check the recipe for a quick tip for the best vegan brown butter.
- White Wine- This is optional, you can also just use more vegetable broth.
- Pumpkin Puree- Make sure to use pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie mix.
- Sage– Fresh is better but dried sage will do as well.
- Coconut Milk
- Vegetable Broth
- Red Chili Peppers * Optional
Vegan Brown Butter Sauce
Now, brown butter is one of those things that literally changes a recipe. Especially in this vegan brown butter sage pasta. So, I highly recommend using it in the sauce for the best flavor possible!
To make vegan brown butter sauce, simply simmer brown butter, white wine, garlic, vegetable broth, and coconut milk. They swirl together to create a dairy-free creamy sauce with so much flavor, no one will guess it’s vegan!
Pasta with butter and sage
Who remembers being a kid and ordering pasta with butter? Yeah, I thought so, that’s because buttered noodles are the best. This vegan brown butter pasta is kind of like a grownup, sophisticated version of your childhood favorite dinner except it’s dairy-free and a whole lot more flavorful!
I chose to use pumpkin pasta from Trader Joe’s because they’re extra cute. However, it’s not necessary to make this dish with pumpkin pasta shells! Feel free to use your favorite type of pasta instead. You could even use gluten-free pasta or chickpea pasta to add more protein!
What to serve with vegan pasta?
To complete this meal, serve alongside asparagus, broccoli, or a simple green salad. You can also pair this pumpkin pasta with a fresh loaf of bread for a super cozy fall dinner ready in under 30 minutes!
Can I make this gluten-free?
There are so many different types of pasta out there now that it’s 100% possible to make this vegan pumpkin pasta gluten-free.
What’s the best plant based pasta?
In my opinion, Tolerant simply legumes red lentil pasta is amazing! I also really like the texture of Costco’s red and white quinoa pasta. Either of these pasta alternatives can be used in this pumpkin sage pasta recipe to make it allergy-friendly and gluten-free.
Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Recipe:Print
A quick, easy pasta dinner made with vegan brown butter sauce, pumpkin, and sage! A delicious 30-minute meal the whole family will love!
Vegan Brown Butter:
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
Pumpkin Sage Pasta with Vegan Brown Butter Sauce:
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/8th tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh red chili pepper or cayenne
- 2 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 cup of coconut milk- full fat
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 package of pasta – 14 oz
- pepitas for garnishing
Vegan Brown Butter:
- First, finely chop pecans. Then combine butter, pecans, and brown sugar in a pan.
- On medium heat continue to heat the butter until melted.
- Then the butter will start to bubble and crackle. Continue cooking the butter until it changes colors to a light brown and the loud bubbling has stopped.
Vegan Brown Butter Sauce:
- After the brown butter is made beginning making your sauce. In a separate pan, combine olive oil with garlic, sage, fresh red chili pepper, nutmeg, salt, thyme, and a pinch of turmeric.
- Stir continuously over medium heat until aromatic.
- Then add white wine, vegetable broth, and pumpkin.
- Stir well and allow to heat thoroughly while you prepare the pasta.
- To prepare your pasta, follow the instructions on the package. Bring a pot of water to a boil and then add 14 oz of pasta. Cook the pasta until it is soft and then strain from the water.
- Next, add coconut milk to the brown butter sauce and heat it until it’s warm.
- Pour the vegan brown butter sauce over the pasta, garnish with pepitas, fresh sage, and serve!
This vegan pasta dish can be made gluten-free by substituting your favorite gluten-free pasta.
You may omit the white wine and use more vegetable broth instead!
- Serving Size: 1 small bowl
- Calories: 350
Keywords: pumpkin pasta, brown butter, sage, brown butter sauce, white wine sauce, pumpkin sage pasta, dairy free