A big tofu scramble with vegan breakfast sausages and sprouted whole-grain toast is the best high protein vegan breakfast idea! It’s a fully balanced, healthy breakfast that will give you energy for the whole day! Make-ahead tofu scramble is the perfect meal prep for a quick and easy breakfast too! This vegan breakfast skillet is just so delicious!
I partnered with Pure Farmland to create this post. While I was compensated for my time, all opinions are my own.
Sometimes I am craving a deliciously sweet breakfast like Cherry Cream Cheese Danishes or Orange Poppyseed Baked Oatmeal, but more often than not, I am craving something savory like tofu scramble with vegan sausage.
How to make a perfect vegan breakfast skillet
Ok, so the truth is you could make this in any pan but, that wouldn’t be as fun now would it? I really do love the taste of dishes that have been prepared in a cast iron. I swear they are better. I will just go out and say it, I think tofu scramble tastes better in a skillet. But, I guess you will have to try it out for yourself to see.
In order not to burn the tofu scramble and vegan sausage, make sure to add a little olive oil to the pan before cooking and keep the pan at a lower temperature while cooking.
I used Pureland Farms breakfast sausage links to complete this tofu scramble breakfast skillet. I really love Pureland Farms breakfast links! They have a classic breakfast sausage flavor and hold together nicely. I only cooked them enough to leave a little char on each side. Avoid overcooking them! Rember that these plant-based sausage links are meatless so they don’t need to cook as long as traditional breakfast sausage.
This recipe is actually really easy! I don’t even chop my tofu because crumbling it is more similar to an egg texture anyway. See the full vegan breakfast skillet recipe below.
Firm Tofu- Tofu is the base of this scramble. For the best scramble texture, I recommend using firm tofu. Do NOT use silken tofu. Silken tofu is for making things like dressings, smoothies, and puddings. You will want firmer tofu because it will hold its shape while cooking and resemble an “egg” like texture. Tofu also contains a high amount of protein, making it great for breakfast!
Meatless Alternative or Vegan Breakfast Sausages- I recommend Pureland Farms breakfast links for this vegan breakfast skillet. They have a wonderful flavor and are super high in soy protein! Alternatively, you could use plant-based breakfast patties or even substitute with hashbrowns.
Black Salt- Black salt contains more sulfur so it has an eggy smell and flavor. Which sounds weird, but amazing for tofu scrambles! It really gives it an egg-like flavor. If you don’t have black salt any salt will work!
Onions, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Kale– A balance of vegetables add flavor and added nutritional benefits to this high protein vegan breakfast idea. If you want to add other veggies or substitute them for another, go for it! I have made a variety of tofu scrambles with veggies and there are so many options. Be creative!
Turmeric- Turmeric is what gives the tofu a yellow egg color. This is totally optional but turmeric is healthy for you too! It’s an anti-inflammatory and great for your immune system too!
Vegan Breakfast Skillet Recipe:Print
Vegan Breakfast Skillet
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Diet: Vegan
A big tofu scramble with vegan breakfast sausages and sprouted whole-grain toast is the best high protein vegan breakfast idea! It’s a fully balanced, healthy breakfast that will give you energy for the whole day!
6 Pureland Farms Sausage Breakfast Links
1 Tablespoon. extra virgin olive oil + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper (any color), chopped
1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 Tablespoon. fresh garlic, minced OR 1/4 teaspoon. garlic powder
1 pkg. firm tofu
1/2 teaspoon. black salt*
1/8th teaspoon. black pepper
1/8th teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup, fresh spinach
2 Tablespoons vegan feta- I used Violife and highly recommend it!*optional
2 slices of sprouted whole-grain toast
- First, wash and chop all the veggies. Chop the onion finely, dice the bell pepper, slice the mushrooms.
- Then place 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil in the cast-iron skillet and place 6 defrosted Pureland Farms Breakfast Links in the skillet.
- Cook the links for 5-7 minutes on medium-low heat. You want the outside of them to get a little char, but not burn them! Once, they are cooked remove them from the skillet and set them aside.
- Then place 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into a cast-iron skillet and turn on low-medium heat. When the oil is hot add-in 1/4 cup of chopped onion. Then add in 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper and sautee.
- While this sautees for 2 minutes, mince the garlic.
- Then add 1/4 cup of sliced mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic to the skillet and continue to cook.
- While the mushrooms and onions are cooking prepare the tofu.
- Open the firm tofu package and drain the water. Cover a plate with paper towels and place the piece of tofu on the plate and stack another plate on top of the tofu. This will press the tofu and help to remove some of the excess water.
- When the mushrooms have darkened in color and shrunk (about 5 minutes) it’s time to add in the tofu! Take the tofu off of the paper towel plate and over the skillet, just squeeze it. Break the tofu with your hands but leave some bigger crumbles because, as you continue to stir you will continue to break the tofu up.
- Stir the mushroom mix and the tofu together until incorporated. Then add 1/2 teaspoon black salt, 1/8th teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1/8th teaspoon black pepper to the tofu.
- Next, add 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup of fresh spinach, and stir to incorporate.
- Let the tofu cook on low heat for another 5 -10 minutes until the spinach wilts and the tofu is less wet-looking. Stir the tofu again and then sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons of vegan feta.
- Toast the sprouted whole-grain toast and put the breakfast links back into the skillet. Serve the skillet with toast and enjoy!
* if you don’t have black salt you can substitute it with regular salt.
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 525
Keywords: breakfast skillet, tofu scramble, healthy breakfast, high protein vegan breakfast, breakfast sausage, vegan scramble
This is the PERFECT breakfast and I am loving the addition of the sausages! Thank you for this!