A big tofu scramble with vegan breakfast sausages and sprouted whole-grain toast is the best high protein vegan breakfast idea! It’s a fully balanced, healthy breakfast that will give you energy for the whole day!
1 Tablespoon. extra virgin olive oil + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper (any color), chopped
1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 Tablespoon. fresh garlic, minced OR 1/4 teaspoon. garlic powder
1 pkg. firm tofu
1/2 teaspoon. black salt*
1/8th teaspoon. black pepper
1/8th teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 cup tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup, fresh spinach
2 Tablespoons vegan feta- I used Violife and highly recommend it!*optional
2 slices of sprouted whole-grain toast
- First, wash and chop all the veggies. Chop the onion finely, dice the bell pepper, slice the mushrooms.
- Then place 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil in the cast-iron skillet and place 6 defrosted Pureland Farms Breakfast Links in the skillet.
- Cook the links for 5-7 minutes on medium-low heat. You want the outside of them to get a little char, but not burn them! Once, they are cooked remove them from the skillet and set them aside.
- Then place 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into a cast-iron skillet and turn on low-medium heat. When the oil is hot add-in 1/4 cup of chopped onion. Then add in 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper and sautee.
- While this sautees for 2 minutes, mince the garlic.
- Then add 1/4 cup of sliced mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic to the skillet and continue to cook.
- While the mushrooms and onions are cooking prepare the tofu.
- Open the firm tofu package and drain the water. Cover a plate with paper towels and place the piece of tofu on the plate and stack another plate on top of the tofu. This will press the tofu and help to remove some of the excess water.
- When the mushrooms have darkened in color and shrunk (about 5 minutes) it’s time to add in the tofu! Take the tofu off of the paper towel plate and over the skillet, just squeeze it. Break the tofu with your hands but leave some bigger crumbles because, as you continue to stir you will continue to break the tofu up.
- Stir the mushroom mix and the tofu together until incorporated. Then add 1/2 teaspoon black salt, 1/8th teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1/8th teaspoon black pepper to the tofu.
- Next, add 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup of fresh spinach, and stir to incorporate.
- Let the tofu cook on low heat for another 5 -10 minutes until the spinach wilts and the tofu is less wet-looking. Stir the tofu again and then sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons of vegan feta.
- Toast the sprouted whole-grain toast and put the breakfast links back into the skillet. Serve the skillet with toast and enjoy!
* if you don’t have black salt you can substitute it with regular salt.
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 525
Keywords: breakfast skillet, tofu scramble, healthy breakfast, high protein vegan breakfast, breakfast sausage, vegan scramble