If you’re a mocha fan, you’re going to LOVE these! These cookies have a soft, buttery cookie base swirled with puddles of gooey dark chocolate and a hint of espresso of course. The espresso enhances the rich flavor of the chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt flakes makes these Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies, well the best.
My very first job was as a Barista, and let’s just say it’s been hard to leave the industry. Ten years later, I’m still in the coffee business. I love working in coffee for many reasons. First off, is the smell of fresh coffee in the morning (need I say more?). Second, I’m a morning person and this career has always allowed me to get up early and be done with work while the day is still young. But, the thing I love most is the connection. Coffee is so much more than the cup of joe, it’s about getting to make someone’s day, bringing a smile to their face, and about building relationships.
Why we love Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies:
These espresso chocolate chip cookies taste seriously gourmet. Yet, they’re incredibly easy to make. Sounds like the best of both worlds if you ask me! I’ve been sneaking back into the kitchen and snacking on these throughout the day, you know when I need a caffeine pick-me-up. They’re a more sophisticated chocolate chip cookie, that will have people begging you for the recipe. We love these cookies because they are:
- Full of robust COFFEE flavor!
It’s important to use good quality coffee for the best flavor. Our favorite is Birch Coffee, which is a local roastery here in NYC.
How to make espresso cookies?
You will be amazed at how simple these espresso chocolate chip cookies are! Seriously. First, you start with a classic vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe and then you add a little dash of espresso. The espresso and chocolate melt together and form puddles of rich chocolate bliss. Not to mention, the sprinkle of sea salt flakes on top take the flavor to a whole new level!
More recipes with espresso:
Love coffee as much as me? Check out these caffinated recipes too!
- Chocolate Chip Espresso Bars
- Compost cookies
These are the best vegan espresso chocolate cookies ever! Soft and buttery, swirled with puddles of gooey dark chocolate, with a hint of espresso of course!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 cups + 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds *
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. ground espresso
- flakey sea salt for topping**
- In a small bowl combine melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and ground espresso. Stir well and cover with a towel and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- In another small bowl combine 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed and 3 Tbsp. water. Stir and set aside for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, both sugars, and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and whisk together.
- Add in the flax egg mixture to the butter and sugar.
- Pour the coconut oil coffee mixture into the wet ingredient bowl.
- Combine the flour mixture, with the wet ingredients, toss in the chocolate chips and stir.
- Scoop the dough out into balls on a lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown but still soft in the center.
*The ground flaxseeds and water creates your flax “egg”. You may also you one egg replacer from Bob’s Red Mill.
** Maldon sea salt is perfect for those big sea salt flakes on top!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 20
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 34.6
- Protein: 3
Keywords: chocolate chip cookies, espresso