Sliced delicata squash and cacao roasted brussel sprout salad is the perfect vegan winter salad! This roasted brussel sprout salad is drizzled with a date dressing, vegan feta, and pomegranate seeds. Let me tell you, brussels sprouts with dates are delicious and I don’t know why it took me so long to figure this out!
The deep earthy flavors of the cacao pair perfectly with the tart pomegranate seeds and the sweet squash. The salad is beautiful too with vibrant colors and winter veggies. We think you are going to love this roasted brussel sprout salad recipe.
Ingredients for roasted brussel sprout salad
While this salad is going to look stunning and sound fancy, it’s quite easy to make. You will be shocked at how simple the ingredients are so let’s take a look:
- Delicata Squash
- Brussel Sprouts
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Raw Cacao Powder
- Vegan Feta Cheese- I used Violife
- Coconut Date Caramel Sauce from The Date Lady or Homemade Vegan Date Caramel Sauce.
- Chili Powder
- Cinnamon Powder
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
Once your veggies are washed and sliced this recipe is simple! Just drizzle your veggies with olive oil and spices and roast them in the oven until golden.
Meanwhile, while the veggies are roasting you can make your dressing and remove the seeds from the pomegranate. Then all that’s left is layering the salad and garnishing it with the dressing, pomegranate, chopped walnuts, and vegan feta.
Where to buy delicata squash
Delicata squash is a fall/winter harvested squash and will be easier to find in the supermarkets around this time of the year. You can also find it locally at farmer’s markets and as a seasonal offering through foodservice companies like Imperfect Foods. I have been using Imperfect Foods now for about a year and honestly love it! Check it out here and save $10 on your first order with my code!
Brussel sprouts with dates
This magical combination was something I had never thought to try until recently. This recipe was one of those that just came to me in the middle of the night begging to be created. The dark cacao has a mildly bitter, earthy flavor that is complemented perfectly with the rich sweetness of the date sauce. For the drizzle of date flavor in this dish, I used The Date Lady’s Coconut Date Caramel Sauce. If you don’t have this though you can easily blend softened dates, tahini, a pinch of salt, and a little bit of water until the desired consistency is formed. This homemade date sauce will taste great as well!
This easy side dish or winter squash salad goes perfectly creamy vegan white cheddar mashed cauliflower or with garlic pan-fried tofu too!
If you recreate this Cacao Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @flaxandsugar, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad RecipePrint
Cacao Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roasting
- Diet: Vegan
Cacao Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad with squash and pomegranate seeds is the perfect winter salad. It’s full of rich flavors and beautiful too!
- 2 delicata squash, sliced
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tsp. thyme
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan feta cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut date caramel sauce from The Date Lady or make a smaller version of my homemade vegan date caramel sauce: 6 softened dates, 8 tablespoons warm water, 2 tablespoons tahini, and a pinch of salt.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- First, wash and slice the veggies. Slice the squash in half, remove the seeds, and then slice into strips and the brussels can be cut in half.
- Then in a medium bowl mix brussels with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon raw cacao powder, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Toss and evenly coat the brussels and then transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet to bake.
- In a bowl evenly coat the squash slices with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Then spread the squash and brussel sprouts out evenly on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven to bake for 35 – 50 minutes.
- The brussels should be slightly charred and crispy on the edges while the center should be soft enough to pick up with a fork. When they are done baking you can remove the veggies from the oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- While the veggies are roasting, blend together dates, tahini, water, and a pinch of salt until smooth and creamy adding water slowly and enough till desired texture. This is if you are making a homemade date caramel sauce otherwise just drizzle with 3 tablespoons of salted caramel date sauce when the veggies are on the serving platter.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, vegan feta crumbles, and crushed walnuts. Serve warm and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 salad
- Calories: 210
Keywords: roasted brussel sprouts, burssel sprout salad, pomegranate salad, cacao, brussel sprout and squash salad
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust, and love!
Leave a Reply