This warm Hungarian potato salad is one of those dishes that everyone will be begging you to make time and time again. So, take this as a warning!
Warm baby red potatoes, capers, fresh dill, all tossed in a garlicky vinaigrette, what’s not to love?
What’s the difference between American and German potato salad?
Well, the main difference is that German potato salad is mayo-free. So, if you don’t like mayo, this is definitely the potato salad for you! Not to mention, German potato salad is served warm and tossed in a zesty vinegarette. The fresh herbs add so much flavor and this warm german potato salad is even studded with capers.
Ingredients for warm Hungarian Potatoe salad
This recipe calls for sweet baby red potatoes however, any potato will work! I just have a love for cute baby red potatoes. The roasted potatoes add a delicious texture to this salad that’s a must-try! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baby red potatoes
- Fresh dill
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Grape tomatoes
- Maple syrup- just a tiny bit!
The best way to store leftover warm German potato salad
Once the potatoes are tossed in the dressing, allow for the potato salad to cool completely. Then seal it in an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Honestly, this warm Hungarian potato salad is delicious served cold the day after as well. Some may even argue that it’s better!Print
Warm Hungarian Potato Salad
- Prep Time: 12
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 42 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side dishes
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This mayo-free roasted baby red potato salad is tossed in a zesty vinaigrette and garnished with fresh herbs!
- 4 lbs. Baby red potatoes
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Sliced grape tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh dill
- 3/4 cup. Sliced onion
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Stone-ground mustard
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Maple syrup
- Pepper to taste
- Clean potatoes and slice them in half
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over them, stir until all the potatoes are coated. Sprinkle with salt, cayenne, and smoked paprika.
- Bake the potatoes until golden brown about 30-40 minutes.
- While the potatoes are baking, begin making the vinegarette.
- Mince garlic and chop the onion into small pieces. In a large bowl combine olive oil, garlic, onion, smoked paprika, apple cider vinegar, maple, and pepper.
- Slice the grape tomatoes and fresh dill.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes. Then add them to the bowl of vinegarette and toss.
- Add in capers, fresh dill, and grape tomatoes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
I used baby red potatoes, but you may use any potato you prefer. However larger potatoes will need to bake longer!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 180
Keywords: roasted potato, potato salad, warm salad, mayo-free recipes, vinaigrette, potato, healthy recipes
Leave a Reply