It’s no secret that I love carbs! Vegan Peach Thyme Scones, Vegan Brown Butter Pasta, and my personal favorite Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies, oh and how could I forget potatoes. Potatoes are so versatile and I haven’t met a kind I don’t like yet. But, these vegan Hasselback potatoes are definitely up there towards the top of the best vegan potato recipes.
It takes a lot to make it to the top of my list, a recipe needs to be easy and inexpensive, dairy-free, full of flavor, and pretty because well, pretty food tastes better. This vegan potato dish doesn’t disappoint!
To check all the boxes, this recipe must be easy and inexpensive to make. This means that you probably have all of the ingredients already and the recipe itself is almost silly it’s so straightforward. But, that doesn’t mean you won’t be drooling over this dish. Oh, no it’s awesome! So, let’s make it!
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Vegan Butter
- Fresh Rosemary & Thyme- Fresh is better but dried is ok. See recipe notes for additional information.
- Salt & Pepper
- Hippeas White Cheddar Vegan Puffs or Cracker of Choice- This will be crunched up and sprinkled on top of the potatoes for a crispy finishing touch.
Tips & Tricks for Perfect Hasselback Potatoes
You’re only as good as your tools – The best tip I can give you is get a good quality, sharp knife! I use this one because it works well and isn’t too pricey! This seems like a no-brainer but it’s really a game-changer and is especially helpful when slicing Hasselback potatoes because you want your slices to be close together but, not go all the way through the potato.
Slice thinly- Try to fit in at least 10 slices on a medium potato. But the more slices you make the thinner they will be and the crispier the texture will be after baking.
Fresh herbs are best- Fresh herbs have more flavor but you can use dried herbs if that is all you have.
Healthy fats are good- this vegan potato recipe tastes even better with a healthy serving of oil. I choose to use olive oil but you can use your favorite heart-healthy oil like avocado oil too. Just note that if you use a strongly flavored oil like sesame or coconut, it will change the flavor of the dish!
Vegan Hasselback Potato Recipe
If you recreate these Vegan Hasselback Potatoes please let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @flaxandsugar, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
The perfect side, appetizer, or holiday dish, this vegan Hasselback potato recipe is delicious! They are easy to make, gluten-free, and sure to be a crowd favorite.
- 9 Small/Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Thyme – 1/2 for dried Tyme
- 1 tsp. Rosemary – 1/2 for dried rosemary
- 1/8th tsp. Black Pepper
- Vegan butter for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes and slice them. To slice, make a minimum of 10 slices without going all the way through the potatoes. Repeat until all of the potatoes have thin slices 75% of the way through them.
- Transfer the potatoes to an 8×8 ceramic baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Add the minced garlic to the oiled potatoes and using your hands roll the potatoes around in the spices and extra oil.
- Bake the potatoes for 1 hour 10 minutes or until they are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with butter, salt, and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
If you are using dry herbs add them to the oil in a separate bowl and let it sit while slicing the potatoes. Then pour the herby oil over the potatoes!
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 170
Keywords: Potatoe, Hasselback, Olive oil potatoes, side dish
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust, and love!