I love anything banana…except well, plain bananas. Banana bread, sign me up! Frozen banana’s made into ice cream, you betcha! Healthy vegan banana muffins, every week, please! Vegan Banana Snack cake, any day! But, toss me a plain banana and I’m most likely going to pass.
However, today’s recipe showcases banana’s in their best form! Baked to golden perfection and topped with frosting. Oh, and sprinkles…lots of sprinkles!
I thought plain banana bread was delicious until I made this. Wait, I forgot to tell you, this vegan banana snack cake has got something extra special going on! It’s a funfetti snack cake! Each bite is swirled with rainbow sprinkles and topped with vanilla sprinkle frosting and it’s. so. damn. good.
What is funfetti cake?
Funfetti was created by Pillsbury in 1989 and has been a birthday cake staple ever since! Its name comes from the word confetti, for the tiny specks of color thrown throughout. But let’s be honest funfetti has a much better ring to it! If you want to read more about the inspiration and trends funfetti has caused, check out the Take Out Funfetti Investigation or just skip below and see why it’s so delicious for yourself. This version is far more healthy because it’s made with bananas and less sugar too!
Vegan Banana Cake Ingredients:
Did I mention this healthier funfetti cake is a one bowl recipe too? That makes it even easier to make which basically means there is no excuse not to make a vegan banana snack cake today!
- Bananas- the riper the better! TIP- Peel and freeze your brown bananas to use later so you can make banana bread whenever the craving strikes!
- Flour- I haven’t tested this recipe with gluten-free flour but if you do please let me know how it works for you!
- Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer- This is my favorite egg replacer! It has zero taste and doesn’t affect the texture of soft cakes. However, if you do not have any you can use ground flaxseeds as substitute-see recipe notes below!
- Sugar- I used organic cane sugar!
- Vegan butter- This is a topic for a whole blog post because vegan butter honestly is very different. My top favorite brands are Earth Balance and Betty Crocker Almond Oil butter for most recipes!
What is a snack cake?
Ok, so I totally thought that a snack cake just meant it was socially acceptable to eat more cake, and I was down with that. However, I guess there is another more technical reason too! A snack cake is a cake made in an 8×8 pan. So, it’s a smaller portion and well, perfect for snacking! I love making snack cakes because it means that there is less waste and I can make different flavors more often.
Vegan Banana Recipes:
If you recreate this Vegan Banana Snack Cake recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @flaxandsugar, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Vegan Snack Cake Recipe:Print
Super soft vegan banana cake stuffed with rainbow sprinkles and topped with a creamy vanilla buttercream sprinkle frosting.
Vegan Banana Snack Cake:
- 1/3 cup oil (coconut, sunflower, vegetable)
- 3 extra ripe bananas mashed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons bob’s egg replacer
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of organic can sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan rainbow sprinkles + 3 tablespoons for frosting
Vegan Funfetti Frosting:
- 1/2 cup room temperature vegan butter
- 1/4 cup room temperature vegan cream cheese (optional- or sub with more butter)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. of non-dairy milk if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix bob’s red mill egg replacer with 4 tablespoons of water and set aside for 5 min
- Grease or line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper
- In the egg replacer bowl, mash 3 extra ripe bananas.
- Add oil, water, vanilla, and sugar. Stir well.
- Slowly add flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl while stirring continuously. Careful not to over stir.
- Fold in sprinkles to the batter.
- Pour batter into the 8×8 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting – 1 hour approximately.
Vegan Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting:
- Whip together room temperature vegan butter and vegan cream cheese.
- Add vanilla
- Sift in powdered sugar and stir continuously until light and fluffy. Add non-dairy if needed.
- Toss in sprinkles!
After the cake is cooled, add a layer of funfetti buttercream frosting, slice, and enjoy!
If you do not have Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer you can use ground flaxseeds instead. Use 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons of water.
You can make the buttercream without vegan cream cheese if you would like as well. Simply substitute with more vegan butter.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 200
Keywords: banana bread, vanilla cake, funfetti cake, vegan frosting, vegan banana bread, snack cake, vanilla buttercream frosting, sprinkles