The combination of banana and tahini is heavenly. Plus, the warm cinnamon spice and drizzle of maple syrup sends me back to my travels through Turkey with every bite. If I could have one thing for the rest of my life it would probably be tahini, that’s how much I love it. Or it would be this tahini banana bread because it’s right up there too!
Swirled black tahini banana bread
For this recipe, I used a combination of regular tahini and black tahini. The black tahini has a rich flavor and a striking color! Take your cookies, hummus, and any tahini recipes up a notch next time with black tahini. Like these chocolate asteroid cookies, which are made with creamy black tahini and flakey sea salt.
To get the swirled effect, all you need to do is mix black tahini, water, and some maple syrup together and drop spoonfuls over the batter. Next, take a knife and cut into the batter, dragging the tahini mix through and leaving streaks of obsidian joy throughout. But don’t worry, if you don’t have black tahini, this recipe is still fantastic with regular!
What you need for tahini banana bread:
Ok friends, so I got a cast iron and it’s practically changed my life. To be honest, I don’t know what I ever did without it. So, brace yourself because there are going to be lots of new recipes using it! I decided to make this banana bread in the cast iron and it turned out heavenly! You might as well pick yourself up a cast iron if you don’t have one, trust me they are amazing! If you want a thicker tahini banana bread, then just double the recipe and adjust the cooking time or you can bake it in a traditional loaf pan as well.
You just need one bowl, some over-ripe bananas, and a few pantry staples for this delicious bread! This recipe is super simple, healthy, and it turns out beautiful!
How to store leftover bread?
This banana bread is soft, moist, and irresistible straight out of the oven I found that freezing it tastes incredible too! The tahini swirls turn fudgy and make for a cool and refreshing post-run or anytime snack! The best part is if you make a loaf, you can freeze some in a freezer-safe bag or container and it will stay good for 3 months! That means you’ll have delicious banana bread at your fingertips, anytime you want!
I also love easy breakfast meals that are prepped and ready for those busy mornings. Like these Healthy Breakfast Cookies, that freeze great as well!Print
Nutty, sweet, and flavorful this tahini banana bread is heavenly! Swirls of black tahini add a rich flavor and a striking color that’s irresistible.
For the bread:
- 3 Bananas
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup Maple syrup
- 2 Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer eggs*
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Almond flour
- 1 cup. Flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Tahini
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
For tahini swirl:
- 2 Tbsp. Black tahini
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp. Tahini
- 2 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. Black sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 2 Tbsp egg replacer with 4 Tbsp. water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Mash bananas with a fork, add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, tahini, and coconut sugar.
- Add in flour, almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Transfer batter to a lightly greased cast iron pan*
- In a separate bowl combine the ingredients for the tahini swirl: black tahini, melted coconut oil, tahini, maple syrup, and stir.
- Drop spoonfuls of the tahini mixture over the bread batter. Then using a knife, cut into the tahini and drag it through the batter to create a swirl effect.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and place the bread into the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing and serving.
* If you don’t have an egg replacer, you can use ground flaxseeds. Mix 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds with 4 Tbsp water and set aside until thick, about 5 minutes.
*If you don’t have a cast-iron fee free to bake in a standard loaf pan. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrates: 47
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
Keywords: banana bread, tahini, black tahini, healthy breakfast, easy breads