This bread is the ultimate crowd pleaser! I mean, just look at it! Layers of soft braided bread topped with cinnamon-dusted walnuts and drizzled with sweet agave. This Cinnamon twist Bread is sticky, sweet, and outstanding!
To be honest, I love anything covered in cinnamon. It’s one of my favorite spices! It’s like getting a big hug from a family member you actually like, adding warmth and love into every bite. This Cinnamon Twist Bread is no exception! If you love cinnamon, make this delicious Ayurvedic Chai Porridge for breakfast too!
Tips for the best bread:
- I love working with Betty Crocker Vegan Almond Oil Butter. It tastes delicious and can be substituted for regular butter in any recipe!
- Brush the braid with butter and agave before baking to create a crunchy golden crust.
- Use high-quality walnuts! Not all nuts are created equally. Some walnuts (typically cheap brands) have a bitter taste. So splurge and buy the good stuff!
- I used King Arthur flour for this recipe and was very pleased with the texture!
How to make cinnamon bread?
The first step is to make the dough. Cinnamon twist bread dough is slightly sweet and contains butter (vegan of course).
Once you’ve made the dough, allow it to rise for 1 hour. This is a great time to do a little yoga, meditate, or dance around the kitchen to your favorite playlist!
Next, punch the dough down and slice into six even sections with a pizza cutter.
Take each piece and roll into a 12 inch snake. Ok, so snake probably isn’t the technical term here but it’s a lot more fun to say.
Once you’ve done that, take the end of all six pieces and pinch them together. This will help keep them together while you braid.
The cinnamon bread braid pattern:
Step 1: Take the section on your far right and start by weaving it under the section next to it.
Step 2: Continue through all sections following a simple under, over, under, over pattern.
Step 3: Go back to the far right and start again with a new section. Following the same pattern.
Step 4: Continue until you’ve reached the end.
Step 5: Pinch all six sections together to seal the braid from opening.
After the braid is complete transfer the bread to your baking sheet. Next, brush the top of the bread with the melted butter and agave mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon and walnuts and toss this beauty in the oven!
Finally, after it’s baked to a golden brown, remove from the oven and drizzle a second coat of the butter and agave mixture over the bread. You read that right, a second coat of sticky, gooey deliciousness! Let it cool before you slice, and enjoy. This bread is perfect for the holidays….but, I won’t tell if you need to taste test it beforehand. You know, just to make sure 😉Print
Cinnamon Twist Bread
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Bread
- Diet: Vegan
Sticky, sweet, and scrumptious cinnamon twisted bread. Fluffy bread swirled with cinnamon, drizzled with agave, and topped with crushed walnuts. This bread is perfect for dessert, with coffee or tea, or as a breakfast treat.
- 2/3 cup soy milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast or 2 1/4 tsp.
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. vegan butter softened
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter melted
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup agave
- Warm the soy milk to 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir in the yeast and 1 Tbsp coconut sugar and let sit for 10 minutes until it turns foamy and activates.
- Combine the flour, salt, and remaining sugar into a bowl. Add the yeast mixture and butter and mix with your hands until combined. Continue kneading for 8-10 minutes until an elastic dough forms.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased large bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Then place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Then cut into 6 even sections.
- Roll each section out into a 12 ” long roll so you have 6 even sections to braid with.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pinch the ends of all the sections together and begin to braid the bread following a simple over-under, over-under pattern. (as instructed above)
- Continue braiding the bread until the end and pinch the sections together again.
- Mix the cinnamon, butter, and agave together for the topping and coat the top of the bread with 1/2 of the mixture. Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts.
- Toss the twist on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately drizzle the remaining agave mixture over the top.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
* If you don’t want to work with 6 pieces of dough you can section it out into 3 pieces and braid them. This will make the dough slightly thicker and you may need to increase the baking time to adjust.
- Serving Size: 5
- Calories: 146
Keywords: cinnamon, twist, bread, holiday
Leave a Reply