There is nothing quite like the warm aroma of freshly baked bread! It fills the house with a sweet smell that’s comforting and cozy. It’s full of flavor from the whole wheat, with a hint of sweetness. We think it’s the Best Vegan Wheat Bread on earth! Try it with a smear of your favorite nut butter or slap a piece of cheese in the middle for the best vegan grilled cheese of your life! While the bread is baking, its the perfect time to curl up with your favorite book, meditate, or enjoy a moment of relaxation.
At first, I was scared to make bread. I mean it’s a science project and what if something goes wrong? Well, I am here to tell you, have no fear! For starters, it’s a lot easier than it seems. Sure, there is a learning curve like all things, but it’s also incredibly rewarding. As a matter of fact, once you get the hang of it, you’ll be baking bread like a pro in no time!
And then, there was the fear that I would gain weight if I ate bread. I can’t even tell you how many times I skipped a sandwich because I believed bread was “bad” and sandwiches, well they have “too many” carbs. Even when that’s what my body was craving. So, this is just a little reminder that there are no “bad” foods or “good” foods. They are all just foods. If your body is craving a sandwich or more carbs, it is more than ok to have a sandwich. Because at the end of the day, restricting yourself will most likely lead to binge eating and more suffering. And if/when you binge it’s not you failing or a lack of self-control. It’s simply biology and your body doing what it needs to do to survive. So instead, cut yourself a break…and a slice while you’re at it.
Ingredients for the best vegan whole wheat bread:
- Organic White Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Non-Dairy Milk
- Vegan Butter
Not to mention, I’ve created lots of foolproof recipes anyone can follow. Some require no kneading at all and you can even try out this Irish Soda Bread, which doesn’t even use yeast! Which means no rise time, phew!
I love a good deal as much as the next coupon clipper. That’s why I am so excited to tell you that making homemade bread costs next to nothing! It’s slowly becoming a weekend tradition because it’s the perfect Sunday activity and something the whole family will enjoy. Go ahead, slice yourself a piece, top it with some fresh Cherry Chia Jam and enjoy!
Why we love this whole wheat bread:
- First off, it’s easy to make!
- It’s vegan. (obviously) But, this recipe uses agave instead of honey.
- Making your own bread is much cheaper per loaf than store-bought.
- Wheat bread is a healthier option than white bread because it contains higher amounts of fiber and protein.
- Last but not least, it’s the perfect bread to make the ultimate vegan grilled cheese!
Healthy whole wheat bread that’s vegan and totally delicious! This is honestly the best vegan whole wheat bread ever!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/4 cup agave or maple
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup non-diary milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegan butter
- additional flour, as needed
- Heat the milk and water to 105-115 degrees in a saucepan. I suggest using a thermometer to ensure you don’t get it too hot. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the yeast and one tablespoon of sugar. Allow the mix to sit for 10 minutes until it becomes frothy and activates the yeast.
- Next, melt the butter and add agave.
- Mix in the flours, salt, and the remaining sugar to the yeast mixture and add the melted butter mixture on top.
- Stir well until a sticky dough ball forms.
- Take the dough ball out and place it on a floured surface. Knead the dough for 6 minutes by pressing the palm of your hand into the dough and folding it over on itself and repeating.
- Place a small amount of oil in a large bowl and transfer the dough ball to the bowl. Coat the top to the dough with a small amount of oil, cover with a towel, and place the bowl in a warm place for one hour to allow the dough to rise.
- After the dough has doubled in size, proof the dough or push it down to release the air. Cut the dough into two even sections and mold into a log shape. Place each section in a greased loaf pan and recover with a towel.
- Allow for the dough to re-rise for an additional 45 minutes.
- While the dough is rising for a second time, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- After the time is finished, bake the bread for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take the bread out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pans and let them finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- Slice and enjoy your homemade bread!
Snap a photo and share your picture on social media too! Tag @flaxandsugar and use the hashtag #flaxandsugar so we can all see your drool-worthy bread!
What was the best topping? Avocado toast? Jam? Drop a comment below, I love hearing from you!