This smokey tofu bacon recipe is the perfect meatless protein! It’s full of flavor, easy to make, and has a wonderfully chewy and crisp texture too!
- 1 package of extra firm tofu – I used Trader Joes Extra Firm Protein Tofu because it has the best texture!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 3/4 tablespoon liquid smoke- I used Wright’s hickory smoked
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8th teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Open the tofu package and remove the excess liquid. Place the block of tofu on a paper towel-lined plate and cover the top with additional paper towels. Then, place a plate or something of medium weight on top of the paper towel wrapped tofu to press out the excess liquid.
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of olive oil with all of the other ingredients. Stir well until fully incorporated and then drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and stir again.
- After the tofu has been pressed for about 5 minutes thinly slice the tofu into strips about 1/8″ thick (see image above for reference) and pat dry.
- Pace the tofu slices on a lined baking sheet and brush over each with the olive oil mix. You can pour the sauce over the tofu as well just make sure to evenly coat all sides and every piece.
- Bake the tofu for 25-35 minutes and then remove the tray from the oven and flip each piece of tofu over and return to the oven to bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Make sure to check on the tofu while baking the second time to avoid burning. You want them to be crispy on the edges without burning and each oven will vary on the exact needed baking time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 block
Keywords: bacon, tofu bacon, smokey bacon, blt, vegan bacon