A surprisingly simple fall risotto recipe made with pumpkin puree and creamy coconut milk. Plus, sautéed mushrooms and fresh sage to top it all off!
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 5 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cup arborio rice (not washed)
- 2 cup coconut cream
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 4 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp. fresh sage
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cups of chopped kale
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Chop the produce: Onions, mushrooms, kale, garlic, sage, and rosemary.
- Start by sauteing the chopped kale in 2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. Cook until tender and soft or for about 5 minutes. Clean out of the large saute pan and set aside until the end.
- Using the same large saute pan, sautee onions and half of the rosemary and sage in 3 tbsp. of olive oil for 5 minutes until onions become translucent and fragrant. Continuing to stir and cook the onions.
- Add in the mushrooms, garlic, and another 3 tbsp. of olive oil. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Then add in the arborio rice and toast for 4 minutes, stirring consistently at medium-low heat.
- Add in the white wine slowly, stirring continually. Allow the rice to absorb the white wine by adding to the dish slowly. You want the starches from the unwashed rice to become creamy, for the best risotto texture.
- Then add in the pumpkin and cinnamon. Once the pumpkin has coated the rice, slowly add the vegetable broth.
- Next, add the coconut cream and stir throughout. Cover and let cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- While the risotto is cooking, make the vegan parmesan by blending together raw cashews, salt, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast. Leave out until the end for garnish.
- After 20-25 minutes remove the risotto from heat. Add in the vegan butter, salt and pepper to taste and garnish with the sauteed kale and vegan parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy!
Fresh herbs are best but if needed you may substitute with dried sage and rosemary.
This recipe has only been tested with arborio rice. Please note that if you are making this with a different type of rice, they require slightly different cooking times and liquids amounts.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 450
Keywords: pumpkin, risotto, dairy-free, easy meals, vegan parmesan,