Little debbie better watch out these vegan oatmeal cream pies are THAT good. Buttery vanilla bean filling, sandwiched between two soft cinnamon cookies form a childhood favorite cookie, except vegan!
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups old fashion oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown butter
- 2 tablespoon maple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (I used Heilala)
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
For the cookies:
- Brown the vegan butter over low temp, stirring constantly, and then set aside to cool. Note that you will lose some butter while browning so start with 2 Tbps. more butter!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl combine flax seeds with warm water and set aside until for 5 min.
- In a large bowl combine brown butter, coconut sugar, maple, and vanilla. Using a handheld blender or spatula whip until fluffy. Scraping the sides as necessary. Then add in the flaxseed mixture.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir until incorporated. Then add dry mixture to wet and mix until there is no dry flour.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or a large tablespoon scoop out the dough and place it on a lined or greased baking sheet. Gently press the top of the cookie dough dome down with your fingers.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown but still soft. Then allow the cookies to sit on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling. While they cool, make the vanilla bean filling.
For the cream filling:
- Using an electric mixer or hand held mixer beat the butter until it is light and fluffy or for about 5 minutes.
- Continuing mixing on low and gradually add in the powdered sugar until incorporated. Then add in vanilla bean paste and coconut cream. You want the texture to be fluffy and soft if you need to add a little more coconut cream to reach the desired texture do so in 1 tsp increments.
- To assemble frost one side of half of the cookies, after they are completely cooled, and top with the remaining half of the cookies right side up.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie sandwich
- Calories: 380
Keywords: oatmeal, oatmeal cookie, cookie sandwich , vegan cookie, cinnamon, fall, whoopie pie, cream pie