Green beans with pomegranate seeds and almonds are pan-fried in a garlicky ginger sauce for a super easy and delicious side dish!
- 1 lb fresh green beans or about 3 cups
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos*
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ginger juice or 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger minced + 1 teaspoon of water
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar*
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons almonds, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Additional salt & pepper to taste
- First, wash the fresh green beans well and cut off the stems on both sides of the bean. Finely chop the onion, garlic cloves, and almonds. Then remove the seeds from one half of a pomegranate. Keep the pomegranate seeds and chopped almonds to the side for garnishing.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium saute pan and turn the pan on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic. Then add the green beans to the pan and drizzle with 2 tablespoons coconut aminos and 1 1/4 teaspoons of ginger juice, and stir well.
- After the beans are evenly coated, add in 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Stir the beans again to evenly coat and reduce the heat to meduim low. Cover the pan and let the beans cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid, and stir the beans. Then recover and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. You want the beans to have a caramelized outer layer but do not want to burn them or the garlic! If they are getting too cooked, reduce the heat and add in 1 teaspoon of water.
- After about 10-15 minutes the beans will be fully cooked and you can remove them from the pan.
- Garnish the green beans with chopped almonds and fresh pomegranate seeds.
- Serve, salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Substitutions: Coconut sugar or date sugar can be used instead of brown sugar.
Tamari or soy sauce can be used instead of coconut aminos- if replacing the coconut aminos decrease amount to 1 1/2 tablespoons of tamaria or soy sauce, add 1/2 tablespoon water, and increase the sweetener to 3 teaspoons.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 105
Keywords: green beans, side dish, garlic green bean, ginger, pomegranate seeds, almonds, healthy,