This healthy vegan eggplant lentil curry is easy to make and the perfect comfort food. Serve with rice and/or naan for a balanced gluten-free flavorful vegetarian meal.
- 2 medium eggplants or 6 cups cubed
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 /4 cup red lentils
- 1 1/2 tablespoon yellow curry powder* see blog post for more details
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut cream
- 3/4 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cashews chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes * optional
- 2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- 1 lime, sliced for garnishing
- Wash and slice the eggplants and red pepper. Also, loosely chop the cashews. To slice the eggplant cut it down the middle vertically or the long way, then cut it again vertically. After 4 pieces have been formed sliced horizontally to form 1″ cubes or smaller.
- Heat the olive oil in a large wok or deep frying pan and add in the cashews. Roast the cashews until toasted and aromatic, avoid burning them.
- Next, add in the red pepper slices and the eggplant. Stir to evenly coat the veggies in oil.
- Then add in curry powder, fennel seeds, black pepper, and salt, and stir again to evenly coat.
- Let the veggies cook in the dry seasoning mixture for about 6 minutes until they begin to soften and cook down.
- Add in diced canned tomatoes. vegetable broth, chili flakes, and coconut cream. Stir well and then cover the pot with a lid and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes before adding in the lentils.
- Stir well, reduce heat to medium-low, and then recover for 25 minutes or until lentils are fully cooked. During this time you can prepare your rice according to the package instructions.
- Remove the lid, stir the eggplant lentil curry well and check to make sure the lentils have split and are forming a creamy delicious mixture.
- Dish the curry and serve with rice or naan. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge, and enjoy!
* the chili flakes will add heat and are optional.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup with out rice
- Calories: 229
Keywords: curry, lentil, eggplant, indian dish, easy recipe, healthy dinner, vegetarian