Flakey puff pastries, filled with tart lemon custard, and sprinkled fresh blueberries. These blueberry lemon danishes are perfect for your next brunch!
- 1 sheet of puff pastry dough
- 3/4 cup of blueberries
- 3 Tbsp. vegan lemon curd
- aquafaba* for brushing dough
- powdered sugar optional
Vegan Lemon Curd:
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- tiny pinch of turmeric for color
- 1 tsp. gar gum or cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. lemon extract optional
- Make homemade vegan lemon curd and allow it to cool in the fridge for 2 hours. Or make homemade lemon curd and place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes while the dough unthaws.**
- Take the dough out of the freezer and place it on the counter while you make the vegan lemon curd for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- While the dough is still cold but moldable, unfold it and roll over it twice with a rolling pin to even out creases.
- Cut the dough into 6 even sections.
- Place the dough sections on a parchment-lined baking sheet. In each section place 1 tsp. lemon curd and sprinkle with fresh blueberries. Make sure not to overfill, less is more here!
- Take two opposite corners of the rectangle and pinch them together in the middle to seal.
- Brush the dough with aqaufaba liquid.
- Bake the danishes for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
* aquafaba is the water from the can of chickpeas. It’s optional here and helps brown the puff pastry dough because it acts like the “egg” wash.
** Using cold vegan lemon curd that is more firm will keep your pastries from getting soggy. Alternatively, you could use store-bought.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 299
Keywords: danish, bluberry, lemon