These bbq jackfruit sweet potato skins are the perfect vegan appetizer or main dish for your next dinner! They are easy to make, healthy, and delicious too!
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 14 0z can of jackfruit in brine (not syrup!)
- 2 1/2 cups BBQ sauce – we used The Date Lady
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup non-dairy cheese – we used Diya cheddar shreds* optional
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 medium-sized avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup microgreens
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Wash the sweet potatoes and slice down the long way of the potato into 1/2″ slices. Refer to the image above as a reference.
- Brush the sweet potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Transfer the potatoes to the oven to bake for about 30 minutes. Checking at 20 minutes. You want the sweet potatoes to be soft through the center and the edges slightly crispy. Adjusting to your cooking preference.
- While they are cooking prepare the 1 cup of quinoa according to the quinoa package. Usually, quinoa is a 1 to 2 ratio with water. If this is the case, bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add in the quinoa. Cover and reduce to low-medium heat to simmer for about 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, leave the lid on and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then remove the lid, fluff the quinoa with a fork, and now it’s ready to serve.
- While the quinoa is cooking prepare the jackfruit. Open and drain a can of jackfruit and then transfer the jackfruit to a large mixing bowl. Using a wire whisk, whip the jackfruit until shredded. Alternatively, you can shred the jackfruit with a fork to reach a shredded “chicken-like” consistency.
- Then transfer the jackfruit to a medium-sized saucepan and add the bbq sauce to the jackfruit. Cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes until softened.
- While the jackfruit and the quinoa finish cooking, drain and rinse the can of black beans and corn.
- When everything is completed cooking, remove the sweet potato slices from the oven and make sure to fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Slice the avocado and green onions
- Assemble the sliders by topping the sweet potato slices with quinoa, black beans, corn, bbq jackfruit, shredded non-dairy cheese, sliced avocado, sliced green onions, and microgreens. Finish with freshly cracked black pepper and enjoy!
You can substitute the microgreens for your favorite green instead such as arugula.
- Serving Size: 2 sliders
- Calories: 290
Keywords: Sweet potato, sliders, loaded potato, appitizer, microgreens, jackfruit, bbq